It seems there are many in the media, the religious institutions and the public that want to compare Muhammed and Islam to Jesus and Christianity. But they are overlooking some very important yet non politically correct issues.
1. Muhammed ordered those that would not convert to Islam to be killed. In his famous Medina campaign, Muhammed and his followers slaughtered those that did not convert peaceably. While it is true Muhammed first offered the intended Islamized conversion and peace, when they refused he brought out the sword. Killing old men, women and children alike, Muhammed showed no mercy. On the contrary, Jesus tells us to preach the gospel peacefully and told His disciples that “He who lives by the sword, shall die by the sword.” Does this sound like a madman bent on converting non-believers at the edge of a sword? Jesus also repeatedly tells His disciples and us to “love your enemies, bless them that persecute you, and do good to them that spitefully use you.”
2. Muhammed received divine revelation and permission from Allah to take multiple wives to himself, one of which he married at 7 and consumated the marriage with at 9. Jesus however, stated that marriage is between one man and one woman for life. “Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” Matthew 19:5 ESV Does this sound like Jesus condoning polygamy?
3. Allah is not Jehovah. Allah is vengeful, wrathful and enjoys sending people to hell. The Koran tells us numerous times that even an Islamic person cannot be guaranteed of eternal salvation until Judgment Day. Whereas the Bible tells us that God wishes no one to perish and the angels in heaven rejoice over every sinner that repents. (Luke 15:10) Jehovah God loved us enough to send His only Son to die that we might live. Allah of Islam says that the only way of guaranteed eternal life in Paradise is to die for the cause of Islam and preferably by killing one or more infidel.
4. Islam states that Islam is the government and if the government is not Islamic, it is not to be submitted to. Many Islamic nations consider their national sovereignty secondary to Islamic rule. Christianity states that Christians are to submit to their secular government, unless that government is specifically ordering the citizens contrary to God’s word. Therefore, Islamic laws often allow for inhumane treatment of criminals. For instance, Islamic law states that the correct punishment for thieves is having the right hand cut off at the wrist. The punishment for adultery is eighty lashes. That is basically a death sentence. Apostasy from Islam is punishable by death.
5. Christianity is a relationship. Islam is religion. Religion has rules, regulations, laws, ordinances and other restrictive policies. A relationship is liberating. While Islam focuses on following rules, Christianity focuses on loving Christ more every day. Christianity is based on your faith in God and His Son’s atoning blood. Islam is based upon your works, and you can never know if your good works outweigh your bad deeds until the scales are balanced. I can love God who loved me enough to send His Son to die for me, I cannot love a god that states that you need to kill others to get to heaven.
So for those that want to compare the two, one must look at all the facts rather than political correctness. Christianity is a world different than Islam.